Monday, June 30, 2008

I miss "The Wire"


I have come to the conclusion that my viewing habits are no more than that of what i find intresting. A strange conclusion i know, but as redundant as it sounds and as obvious as it should be i dont regret stating the obvious. I like television to explode my over bearing thoughts in my head and replace them with objects and storys of intrest in order to truly relax my thoughts. Television should be able to captivate me, but i have found that extremely difficult since "The Wire" has gone off the air. I have attempted to appease my viewing soul with Law and Order reruns, my usual sports fix and Dexter on showtime, but to no avail. I still yearn for something that can make me wonder what will happen week to week, show to show.

Joklingly i identified with McNulty, an officer torn between his ego, demons and validation. Kind of a psychotic brother in law to the Baltimore soceity, you either love him or hate him, no inbetween. His demons crawled in the shadows throughout the seasons yet his good nature seemed to keep his head on his shoulders. He was usually the smartest person in the room whether he could validate it or not, but the need to be validated in his beliefs tore Jimmy McNulty apart as i find myself in those shoes frequently. In everything i do i intend to do well, but as a wise man once said "the path to hell is paved with good intentions." I hold pride in the fact that im usually the smartest person around, yet also im usually the least intelligent person around. Facts that celebrate my life in comparison to Jimmy McNulty as well as parralel them.

So until i find another alternative view for my mind to collaborate with im stuck with fiery dreams of police adventures and criminal mischeif to appease the demons lurking in my shadows. It's only a few hours a week the release of television is needed and applied to my soul directly, so this space may be able to be filled by Generation Kill (the creator of the wire's newest creation) or possibly some new optical adventure.
Until then im out like Stringer.

No comments: